Posted by David Conyers
on May 29, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Sometimes news comes pleasantly out the blue, and to discover recently that David Kernot and my collaboration, “Winds of Nzambi” would be appearing in Liz Grzyb’s and Talie Helene’s The Year’s Best Australian Fantasy and Horror, was exciting news indeed.
This was David and my first collaboration (we have another very different collaboration in the works) and we were earlier pleasantly surprised to discover that our story won the Australian Horror Writers Association’s Short Fiction Award for 2011, and was then published in Midnight Echo 6.
The Year’s Best Australian Fantasy and Horror features 32 stories and poems first published in 2011, from New Zealand and Australia writers, and published by Western Australian outfit, Ticonderoga Publications. The contents are:
- Peter M Ball "Briar Day" (Moonlight Tuber)
- Lee Battersby "Europe after the Rain" (After the Rain, Fablecroft Press)
- Deborah Biancotti "Bad Power" (Bad Power, Twelfth Planet Press)
- Jenny Blackford "The Head in the Goatskin Bag" (Kaleidotrope)
- Simon Brown "Thin Air" (Dead Red Heart, Ticonderoga Publications)
- David Conyers and David Kernot "Winds of Nzambi" (Midnight Echo #6, AHWA)
- Stephen Dedman "More Matter, Less Art" (Midnight Echo #6, AHWA)
- Sara Douglass and Angela Slatter "The Hall of Lost Footsteps" (The Hall of Lost Footsteps, Ticonderoga Publications)
- Felicity Dowker "Berries & Incense" (More Scary Kisses, Ticonderoga Publications)
- Terry Dowling "Dark Me, Night You" (Midnight Echo #5, AHWA)
- Jason Fischer "Hunting Rufus" (Midnight Echo #5, AHWA)
- Christopher Green "Letters of Love from the Once and Newly Dead" (Midnight Echo #5, AHWA)
- Paul Haines "The Past is a Bridge Best Left Burnt" (The Last Days of Kali Yuga, Brimstone Press)
- Lisa L Hannett "Forever, Miss Tapekwa County" (Bluegrass Symphony, Ticonderoga Publications)
- Richard Harland "At the Top of the Stairs" (Shadows and Tall Trees #2, Undertow Publications)
- John Harwood "Face to Face" (Ghosts by Gaslight, HarperCollins)
- Pete Kempshall "Someone Else to Play With" (Beauty Has Her Way, Dark Quest Books)
- Jo Langdon "Heaven" (After the Rain, Fablecroft Press)
- Maxine McArthur "The Soul of the Machine" (Winds of Change, CSFG)
- Ian McHugh "The Wishwriter's Wife" (Daily Science Fiction)
- Andrew J McKiernan "Love Death" (Aurealis #45, Chimaera Publications)
- Kirstyn McDermott "Frostbitten" (More Scary Kisses, Ticonderoga Publications)
- Margaret Mahy "Wolf Night" (The Wilful Eye - Tales From the Tower #1, Allen & Unwin)
- Anne Mok "Interview with the Jiangshi" (Dead Red Heart, Ticonderoga Publications)
- Jason Nahrung "Wraiths" (Winds of Change, CSFG)
- Anthony Panegyres "Reading Coffee" (Overland, OL Society)
- Tansy Rayner Roberts "The Patrician" (Love and Romanpunk, Twelfth Planet Press)
- Angela Rega "Love in the Atacama or the Poetry of Fleas" (Crossed Genres, CGP)
- Angela Slatter "The Coffin-Maker's Daughter" (A Book of Horrors, Jo Fletcher Books)
- Lucy Sussex "Thief of Lives" (Thief of Lies, Twelfth Planet Press)
- Kyla Ward "The Kite" (The Land of Bad Dreams, P'rea Press)
- Kaaron Warren "All You Can Do Is Breathe" (Blood and Other Cravings, Tor)
Special congratulations to Stephen Dedman, whose story “More Matter, Less Art” appeared in Midnight Echo #6 which David Kernot, Jason Fischer and I edited last year, to the talented team at Brimstone Press for Paul Haines "The Past is a Bridge Best Left Burnt" from The Last Days of Kali Yuga, and Jason Fischer for his inclusion.
The volume will include a review of 2011 and a list of recommended stories.
The Year's Best Australian Fantasy and Horror 2011 is scheduled for publication in July 2012 and can be pre-ordered at indiebooksonline.com. The anthology will be available in hardcover, ebook and trade editions.